Mobility is a mainstay of the human endeavor. Our existence is centered around our ability to do what we need and to move. When this concept is impeded, it is important for the physical and psychological health to use all necessary resources to alleviate and or resolve this impediment.
It is our goal to enable all individuals with mobility disadvantages to overcome them through information, education, training, and use of the latest research and technology to arrive at that situation of improved mobility.
Almost all people will either need mobility help due to a physical disability in their lifetime or will know someone who does.
1. The number of Americans who use wheelchairs for mobility has doubled since 1990
2. Of those using wheelchairs or walkers in the United States who are of working age (non-elderly adults), only about 20% are employed
3. Despite the importance of ramps, railings, and other accommodations for people with disabilities, about half of wheelchair users have to use stairs just to enter their own homes
4. Medical conditions like osteoarthritis and stroke are responsible for more physical disabilities requiring use of wheelchairs and scooters than injuries, accidents, or amputations
5. 1.2 million people suffer from osteoarthritis that is severe enough to require some form of mobility device
6. Worldwide an estimated 1% of the population requires wheelchairs
7. Adding in canes and walkers as well as wheelchairs and scooters, around 7 million Americans regularly use mobility devices for their disabilities
8. People of Asian or Pacific Islander descent are the least likely to need wheelchairs or other mobility devices
9. The first wheelchairs required another person to push it. The first self-propelled wheelchair (that the person with disability was able to move him or herself) was invented in 1665 had 3 wheels
10. Canes are the most widely used mobility device with nearly 5 million Americans relying on them
Clearly mobility devices are an important part of life for millions of people across the country and around the world.